Friday, July 6, 2012

We've Got Mail


I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July! Ours was jam-packed with stuffing ourselves of BBQ ribs (and I can't leave out the potato salad, corn on the cob, and homemade ice cream by yours truly), spending time with Zach's dad & enjoying two awesome fireworks shows (one was our city's and the other was Zach & his dad's). :)
You know when the leftovers look this good,
the meal was yummy!...


It was nice to have a break, even though it cut the week in half. But, now we have a weekend upon us, and that's always a good thing!

So, you know those objects you spot from time to time- you look at it, and you instantly know what you want to transform it into?

This little mail organizer was one of those things for me. It came from my grandmother's house. I knew wanted to keep it, but a little revamping was required. A good start was to remove the golden eagles :) ...

It has 3 compartments & even hooks at the bottom for keys. Awesome!

Close-up of the eagles...

I simply grabbed up a flat-head screwdriver. It was really the first thing I spotted that was on-hand, and it worked beautifully. I just lifted the edges, and the tiny nails popped right out.

This shows the process of removing them...


This is after their removal- it was pretty this way too, but the wood stain was too dark for our house.

This shows a close-up of the raised scalloped detail. Love this!!

I wanted to take advantage of the design, so after spray painting the entire thing white (sorry, I didn't take an after-paint pic, but you get the idea), I knew I wanted to transform the center raised areas into chalkboards for labeling.


I am so glad I did this! It is awesome to be able to change up the labels whenever we need to.

Now, a Before & After for ya'...

BEFORE


AFTER


Some close-ups...


I'm loving the key hooks...

Here it is in use...
  
 We are loving our new mailbox in its new home in our
little command center area of the laundry room!


Hope you all have a good weekend! We will be going to Cnooga...not good for a no-spend July, but I'll make it. I'll just have to put my blinders on when we pass Hobby Lobby...but, I'll make it. :)

5 comments:

  1. You caught my eye on tip junkie, this is great.
    Maria Crafty Chic

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little mailbox! Great makeover!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your updo on this project....I love how chalkboard paint allows you to change the labels and your needs change! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant make-over. I lOVE IT!!

    Thank you for linking it up ALSO at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com
    Looking forward to seeing you again later today with another fabulous project!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...