Thursday, February 21, 2013

Plant Stand Makeover


I scored this little plant stand months ago, thanks to a friend. She was part of a local consignment/thrift sale, and she gave me one of her tickets. The tickets were for the consignors to come to the sale one day early & look around. I was so excited to go!! I found a lot of little things, perfect for repurposing, but in the end, I took only this little beauty home with me...

(Please excuse our lovely basement backdrop.)

It was only 6 bucks too!

I took it straight to the basement & sanded it well all over. I then began by flipping it over to spray paint the underside first...


Easy enough!...


After the two coats on the underside were dry, I flipped it over & painted three coats all over.


Then came the fun part- distressing!! I wanted the finish on this one to be similar to the one on my first furniture painting project, my side table. Both pieces looked pretty with the smooth, glossy white finish, but I am just really into the aged, distressed look lately. And the beauty of it is that I can always change it up later IF I ever get tired of it.


I tried to zoom in on the detail...



You can't really mess up sand paper distressing. I always like to start easily and make a small spot, then if I want it bigger, I can always sand more heavily.

I thought I would immediately put this baby into the yard sale pile in the guest room, but I actually needed to use it, atleast for a little while. I have just three plants left from when my dad passed away. One is thriving & looks beautiful in our living room. The other two are slowly fading, so I need somewhere to house them for the time being. This was the perfect place for one of them...




The lighting is bad in the last photo, because it was a pretty, sunny day & I had the blinds open. So thankful for the sunshine we've had for a few days lately.

So, a quick Before & After!...

BEFORE


AFTER


Isn't it crazy what a little spray paint & sand paper can do??

Hope you all have a great weekend! I can't believe how fast the weekends are rolling around lately. The weeks have been so busy, so they come & go really quickly. Recently, we seem to have things going almost every weeknight too, so that helps. Two nights ago, I went with mom & some friends to see Safe Haven. WOW. Such a great movie! I was skeptical going in to another (cheesy) Nicholas Sparks movie, because he really disappointed me with The Vow, but this one really got me. And if you've lost a parent, it will get to you even more.

I have some really exciting plans coming up, so that makes the quick passing of time more exciting too. I am going to the Elton John concert in Chattanooga in March (which will be here before we know it- yay!!), and my sweetie & I are going with his dad to the Crimson Caravan in May!! I was so excited that we were able to get tickets to that! I am also really shocked that it will be here in our little town, but it is! Woohoo!! I have never heard Nick Saban speak in person (Zach & his dad have), so I am super pumped!

Roll Tide!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...