Thursday, November 3, 2011

Crock Pot Girls To the Rescue!


They've done it again. I tried yet another recipe posted by the Crock Pot Girls on their FB page, and it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

I was planning on cooking this over the weekend (use my crockpot on a weekend when I'm home- go figure!), but I used it during the week instead (when I should be using it, anyway). We actually had an entire weekend "off" this past weekend. Alabama had their idle week, and our kid's choir play practice was cancelled because of a Fall Festival. Yay for weekends with nothing not much to do!

We spent most of the day Saturday with Zach's mom & sister & our niece, and we had a wonderful time. We then went to church on Sunday & had a nice, restful afternoon at home. And for those of you that remember, the project I mentioned in an earlier post is still waiting to be hung up. Zach will hopefully try that tonight, so I can post about it soon!

Anyway, I tried this little recipe on Tuesday night, and we loved it! So of course, I wanted to share it with you...

Bacon Ranch Slow-Cooked Chicken...
...(They had me at "Bacon Ranch") :)

- 2 Tbsp real bacon bits (1/2 jar)...(None of the crunchy fake stuff)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (can use garlic powder)
- 1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (yum!)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Step 1: Combine first 5 ingredients.
Step 2: Spray crock pot with Pam & put chicken in pot.
(Never seen this before, but it's a really good idea.)
Step 3: Pour ingredients over the chicken.
Step 4: Cook 3-4 hours on High until done.
(I think I've seen before where this is the equivalent of cooking on Low for 8 hours or so...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)


This stuff is wonderful! I am always trying to find new recipes that Zach & I both like (easier said than done), to bring me out of the rut that I sometimes get in with weeknight dinners. Chicken isn't my favorite, so I'm always wanting to find new ways to change it up. This was perfect for that!

I wanted to include just a couple of pics. The first one shows the mixture, and the second is the chicken with the mixture over it in the crockpot.



It was ready when I got home, so I just took a few minutes & cooked some veggies to go with it. We were eating by 5:30, which was really nice! Zach has a new favorite side, my twice-baked potatoes, so I fixed those for him. They are also super easy. All you do is bake the potatoes as usual in the microwave (about 5 minutes, stopping to turn them at the 2:30 mark), then take them out. Then, I just cut them in half (I usually hold them in my hand with an oven mitt), then take a spoon & spoon out the potatoes inside. Mash them up in a bowl, then add butter, salt & pepper to taste. I then go a step further with ours & add a little milk (or chicken broth works well too), as well as a sprinkle of cheese & garlic salt. Mix together & then place back into the potato skins. I cover the tops with cheese, and bake at about 350 degrees for a few minutes, until cheese topping is melted. So easy and so yummy! I enjoy fixing Zach what he likes, especially if it's quick & easy. :)


I go a step further with mine & add a little chopped onion. Yum!


Let me know if you happen to try these out!

And, even though it's a little late, Daisy hopes you all had a
Happy Halloween!

17 comments:

  1. I love Daisy's photo in her Halloween costume...so cute!!
    Yes, Saturday was a wonderful day! I really enjoyed spending the day together at Rembrandt's, Costco and the restaurant.
    Love you,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 18 year old daughter and her boyfriend are learning to cook, and are having fun doing it together. I'm sending this over right away!
    They can put it on, go kayaking, then come back to dinner all ready to eat. Bonus: plenty for me!

    They are going to love this!

    I just discovered your site, and think it's perfect for young people who are starting out on their own. The recipes are simple, instructions are easy, and your photographs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to try this, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. could you add vegetables to the crock pot with the chicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could add veggies! Anything to mix it up!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...