Monday, February 18, 2013

Simple Sausage Ball Recipe


(Not too bad for an iPhone picture, right? I was shocked at
how well it turned out.)

I made these little cuties over the weekend. It was one of those snacks that I had been craving for a while, and I (surprisingly) already had the ingredients for it on hand. I had made these not too long ago for the National Championship game, and I've made them a few times before. They're so easy!

The recipe I have been using recently came from All Recipes with just a simple Google search.

The three ingredients are 1 lb. sausage, 2 cups Bisquick, & 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese. (It was A LOT of cheese, so I didn't quite use all of it.)


You first preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then take the sausage at room temp & place it in a bowl.


Then add the 2 cups Bisquick. I thought this added just enough breading- you may want to add more if you like it more "biscuit-y". Knead it through the sausage. This gets messy, but it is best done with your hands.


Then add the yummy cheese and knead through!


At this point, it looks incredibly unappetizing...


Once well-mixed, take small amounts and form them into "walnut-sized" balls. I covered my baking sheet with foil & greased the foil. The bottoms turned out lightly browned- perfect!

The recipe says it yields about 30, but mine went further.
I made 48 total.


Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. (I went the full 25.)


To me, they are best right out of the oven, but you can reheat them anytime- it only takes about 10-15 minutes, again at 350 degrees.


I know this is a simple recipe that probably everyone has tried at some point, but to me, it makes it more interesting with pictures. I hope to do more recipe posts like this this year... it's just a little difficult to have the phone or camera in the kitchen with me when I'm making a mess cooking. (Not to mention, I'm sure my hubby thinks I'm an idiot snapping pictures of food.)

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend! Mine was full of rest & relaxation!

52 comments:

  1. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed
    browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your
    feed and I hope you write again soon!

    My homepage lifelovelowcarb.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do u think pancake mix would work instead of bisquick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, regular pancake mix (off-brand) would work just as well as Bisquick!

      Delete
  3. Do they have to be refrigerated(after there cooked)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always refrigerate any leftovers because they have sausage and cheese in them. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks! It's been awhile since I have made these, I wanted to check out and refresh my memory, this is exactly how I make mine. I love hot sausage and extra sharp cheddar ������

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be sure to grease the foil. I over looked that one little detail and mine stuck to foil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you use parchment paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use parchment or my silicon bake sheet,for us the foil made bottoms too crispy.

      Delete
  7. Do you think these could be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make mine ahead and freeze them. I freeze on a pan before I put in a freezer bag!

      Delete
    2. When I know I am going to free mine I under bake them a little so that upon re-Heating they don't get to done/crisp.

      Delete
  8. Am I missing where it says how much cheese to use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never mind lol I'm losing it. I see where to find it now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can these be made the night before and refrigerated overnight and bake the next morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can also freeze them before you cook them and then just cook as many as you need. I make big batches and freeze them!

      Delete
  11. I know someone who adds 1/2 cup water, comes out great,,,anyone else???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add a little buttermilk! Yummy!

      Delete
    2. I add water. Makes it all stick together better. So much yummier to use real cheese instead of cheese whiz

      Delete
  12. Could you make these ahead of time and then freeze for cooking at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ashley!! It's Joy Ana! Thanks for the recipe, so awesome i stubbled upon yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made these before a long time ago...I can't remember if once cooked can you put them in one of those serving warmers? We are having an open house and I want them to stay warm as people will be coming and going all day. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this recipe. I tried another that called for 3 cops of bisquick but way too dry. My daughter took them to work though and they disappeared anyway,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the blow-by-blow steps, just what I need. I love these but always thought they were too cumbersome to make. Will use for a church event. I stumbled upon your blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you tried this with gluten free bisquick?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! It works great! I have some in the oven right now, but have made them multiple times before with GF bisquick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember this recipe as a child as 1,2,3 - 1 pound of sausage, 2 cups of Bisquick, and 3 cups of shredded cheese. Thanks for the memory jog because I was getting the 2 and 3 mixed up. Mine were 30 grams a piece and made exactly 30. Taking them to a morning tailgate. Oh, yum!
    Thanks so much!@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent way to remember..1 2 3, thanks!!

      Delete
  20. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This piece of
    writing posted at this site is truly good. 경마사이트

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have 20 people floating the river next week, I’m making 4 batches tomorrow to take on the river with us. My people will eat them warm or cold. And if there are any leftover, we warm them the next morning and either pour gravy over them or syrup. Also good with scrambled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made them with red lobster cheddar bay biscuit mix. They were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’ve been making these every fall for 30 years now. Use only 1 cup of cheese, and cut the baking time back to 20 min so they are soft, not hard and crunchy. Also, use ungreased parchment on a baking sheet—no need for added oil!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I add syrup in mine and then bake. Even yummier!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...