Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My First Mod Podge Project


We're coming off of a restful weekend. Our Sunday was pretty much composed of church, popcorn, homemade ice cream and 24 on DVD. Needless to say, it was awesome. (I admit, I have a huge older-man-crush on Kiefer Sutherland. That man can rock a pair of jeans! Hahaha!) Anyhoo, I went on a shopping trip on Saturday. I'm not gonna lie- it was a little painful. I found several cute things (which I knew I would), but came home with nothing. Didn't spend a dime, and that felt great!
Hey, I can always go back in August...which I'm sure I will. :)

Now, for the project...This was my first ever Mod Podge project, and now I'm hooked. I have read countless blog posts about how this is some miracle stuff, and I am now a believer. It is a decoupage that you can use on just about anything, for anything. I have been walking around the house trying to find things to slap this stuff on. Ha! 

You may remember this little $1 number from a thrift store trip (one of the many):


I splurged ($1 also) on some wrapping paper at Dollar General, another frequent stop of mine, and was planning to use it on this project...until I found this at Hob Lob about a month ago...


...and could NOT resist. It was $7.99 (I cringed when I saw the price sticker), but I used my 40% off coupon, so it didn't hurt as bad. Plus, I want to use this on a few more things throughout the house. If you recall, I've already used it on the jewelry tray. I have always wanted a zebra print/black & white room, but until I get that, I am going to settle with throwing in some zebra where I can. Sorry in advance, Zach. :)

I took the new zebra art paper and grabbed up my Mod Podge to transform the organizer. (I've had this Mod Podge for forever now. Keep in mind, all these project supplies were purchased a while back. I'm still sticking to my guns on the no-spending.)

Here are pics of my steps. Got a little camera crazy,
so bear with me...

I used my handy-dandy X-acto knife (first time using one, and no cuts!), and traced the outline of the organizer on the paper.

I made sure the paper cuts fit the curves. It wasn't exact, but it fit. (Do you like my subtle LOFT ad placement here?
Love that store!) :)

I began slapping on the Mod Podge. This stuff is so easy to work with!

After I placed the paper on the Mod Podged organizer, I smoothed out all air bubbles. Then, I let it dry for about an hour. I then put a light coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper to seal it in.

It looks terrible at this stage, I know, but it dries crystal clear! I then repeated these steps on the other side, front, and back of the organizer. It took a little while, just because of the drying time. I also put an additional top coat when it was all said & done, just for good measure.

Now, my favorite- a little Before & After for ya':

BEFORE


AFTER


The organizer is currently being used on my computer desk in the living room. I love how the print adds a little pop to that corner. I may add more of the paper to the inside of the organizer, but I'm thinking it may be too difficult to cut to size. We'll always have paperwork and bills in the slots anyway, so it won't matter.

Love that pic of us too. It's one of my favorites from when we were dating. :)

I have already started another project with the Mod Podge. I had this set of coasters that were purchased about a year ago. The clear coating on top was starting to wear off & it made them look splotchy, so I haven't used them in a while. The idea popped into my head to use Mod Podge to re-coat them, and it worked out perfectly!



 I'm already lining up other projects I can use the Mod Podge with, so be looking for more posts with this awesome stuff!

7 comments:

  1. It looks really cute, and love that it barely cost anything! Thanks for sharing!
    www.modernwivelyhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you've already read something on this, but back in college my friends and I used it for wall art. We would buy posters at Hobby Lobby and mod podge it to a canvas. If you get a poster that of an actual painting, the mod podge will make it look almost as if you painted it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! Jen- actually, I have seen blog posts on using your own pictures on a canvas. I am really wanting to try this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great! I am really addicted to Mod Podge (I might actually need some help for it...) So happy you shared at The Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop, I was co-hosting this week and it was so great seeing you there! I am now following...hope you can stop by and visit soon!

    creativecarmella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read your stories but this is my very first time to comment, i love your work

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...