Monday, May 16, 2011

My Thrifty Crafts

Spray Paint Party- Before & Afters

This has been a fun little hobby for me lately. I'll stop by a store, buy something cheap, then do something (anything) to it to change it up. I'm starting to look at things differently when I shop. Instead of thinking, "I like that, but not the color," I think, "I can easily change the color on that." Zach 's happy about this, I'm sure.

BEFORE:

This is "Little Blue"...

AFTER:

"Little Blue" is blue no more... :)

I did love that shade of blue, but it doesn't work in our house. I'm planning to pick some flowers to put in it soon and place it on our little kitchen table.

And this is our little arrangement that serves the purpose of hiding the cords to the computer and speakers:


The flash really brightens it up even more than it is, but it has been sticking out like a sore thumb (to me, anyway) for a while now. It's too light for our living room, I think. So...I changed it!

BEFORE:


AFTER:


And the finished product:

All bronzed up and shiny!

BEFORE:

I bought this plain wooden frame for .50. I knew I wanted it red, and I already had some red spray paint. Simple.

AFTER (Part 1):


AFTER (Part 2):


I went a little step further and sanded the edges for a little bit of an antique look, if you can even tell that from the picture. I'm also wanting to use this technique (since I'm such an expert on it now) on the furniture that I painted this weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

Thrifty Crafts

I bought these styrofoam orbs at a thrift store for .25 each, then bought the moss (yes, I feel like an idiot for buying moss when we have a small patch of it in our yard...too much trouble & too dirty to dig up, I guess) at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 a bag. I ended up only using half of one bag, so I'll either be making some more of these soon, or find something else creative to do with the moss. All I needed were the balls, moss & my handy glue gun (which I am in love with!)
These were so much fun to make. I felt like a kid in art class again. :)

BEFORE:


AFTER:



I love the fresh, Spring-y look of these! Now, I just have to find somewhere to put them! Ha!

I have one other thrifty craft that I want to start on soon. I already have the stuff for it, so I'm ready to get started. I'm hoping to create my own apothecary jars from glass candlesticks, glass vases & a little bit of E6000 glue. A simple craft involving just 3 things- not too bad.

I'm going to make another post soon on the piece of furniture that I painted, since I took a few step-by-step photos. I still have to put a few more coats on it for best coverage, then I'm planning on antiquing it, so it may take some time. I was SO surprised at how well it has turned out thus far though, because I was a little nervous about it. Looks like I have a new distraction!

Hope I didn't bore you too much with my new hobby! I get excited about it, whether you guys do or not. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...