Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Things Unseen

I didn't write the following post, but thought it was well worth re-posting to share. It was an email sent out by one of my friends in our Sunday School class...

To my friends,
I really needed this devotional reading today, and I thought I would share it! Not so much "bubbles" for me today, but it came in the form of a fishing rod! David Allen gave Don a fishing rod for his birthday (41 years tomorrow), and he also got a matching one so that they can go together. What a simple pleasure to see themin the yard now practicing their casting. Sometimes my focus gets so off track! I only focus on what's going on right around me, and I stress over too many little things when I should have the "right" focus so that I can handle life more joyfully. Off to eat some blueberry cheesecake and watch them "fish." With love to you all!!! -Amy

From Our Daily Bread:

"What We See Depends Mainly On What We Look For"

Stuck in a long line at the US-Canada border, Joel Schoon Tanis had to do something to lighten the mood! He reached for his bottles of bubble-making solution, bounded out of the car, and began blowing bubbles. He handed bottles to other drivers too, and he says that “soon there were bubbles everywhere. . . . It’s amazing what bubbles do for people.” The line didn’t move any faster, but “suddenly everyone was happy,” Joel says.
“What we see depends mainly on what we look for,” said British statesman John Lubbock (1834–1913). A good attitude and the right focus help us to handle life joyfully, even though it doesn’t change our circumstances.
Paul encouraged the Corinthians in their trials: “Do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal” (2 Cor. 4:18).
So what’s unseen and eternal that we can look at? The character of God is an excellent place to focus. He is good (Ps. 25:8), He is just (Isa. 30:18), He is forgiving (1 John 1:9), and He is faithful (Deut. 7:9).
Pondering God’s character can give us joy in the midst of our struggles. — A
The eyes of faith when fixed on Christ
Give hope for what’s ahead;
But focus on life’s obstacles,
And faith gives way to dread. —D. De Haan
When Christ is the center of your focus, all else will come into proper perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...