Monday, July 20, 2009

Losing Someone

I usually don't post many of my thoughts and feelings on here, but after thinking about it, that's really what a "blog" is for. So, I decided I would type up a few things I've been thinking about lately...

This past weekend was just really long for me, it seemed. Usually I enjoy the weekends and look forward to them, but this weekend was a little different. I was excited about getting my hair done on Saturday, so that was fun. Also, my best friend Jennifer flew home this weekend for her grandmother's 80th birthday party, so I got to spend a little time with her. Sunday was the longest day ever, for me anyways. We sang at church that morning and it was wonderful. Then, Zach and I went out to lunch to spend time with Jennifer. After that, our choir was asked to sing at the funeral for Brant Craig. (I didn't know Brant really well, but I graduated from high school and was good friends back then with his younger son, Ryne.)

This is the hardest thing for a choir as a whole to do, in my opinion. We sang "I Can Only Imagine," which, when looking at the faces of the family, brings a whole new meaning to me now when I listen to the words. We were seated, as usual, in the choir loft, and the family faced us. This is what made it so difficult. I can not, and hope I never will, imagine what they're going through right now. They've lost a husband, son, brother, father, grandfather and "hero," as John Croyle (one of the speakers at the funeral) put it, and they're really hurting. My mom went through it when she lost her first husband. My grandmother went through it twice. I wish that neither Zach or me ever have to face that someday.

The speakers at the funeral did leave us with hope, and that's what makes everything easier to handle. Things can change so suddenly from one day to the next--nothing is certain. It seems like members of our church have been awakened to the thought that life is very short and we should tell people everyday that we love them and treat others the way you would want to be treated. I thought of a quote yesterday that really makes you think. Dave Matthews said this when talking about their saxophonist who passed away about a year ago.

"We should never wait to do things. Death teaches us that."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...